There are several options for workshops or presentations ranging from 1 hour sessions to the 30 hour course available through UBC Okanagan Summer Institute in Education. Each workshop/presentation will be customized according to the audience and the time allotted. All topics include real life examples of challenges and successes with at-risk youth and contain input from students as to what they think is important for educators to know.
Topics can include:
- Starting With Your Core Values and Beliefs
- Empathy Instead of Sympathy
- Social Construct Theory vs. Disorders
- Labels and Their Effects
- The Benefits of Intergenerational Events and Connectedness
- Self-fulfilling Prophecy
- Learning Gaps vs Learning Disabilities
- The Gifted “Problem Youth”
- Treating Roots of Problems Rather Than Symptoms
- Relationships and Trust
- The Importance of Behaviour Modeling
- Creating Pride
- Creating a naturally flowing culture of acceptance.
- Giving them a voice through TEDx, Ignite, and other public speaking events.
- Reacting to Trauma
- Clear and Relevant Expectations
- When and How Far To Push Them to Challenge Themselves